Sunday, May 15, 2016

604 Just Eat: Pacific Northwest Cuisine @ Oru

Jan 24th, 2016

Oru @ Coal Harbor

Food:  2.5/5   Service:  3.5/5   Atmosphere:  4/5   Price:  Avg. $50/person

We picked a few places among the list for Dine out Vancouver and Oru was one of them.  We heard some really good comments on the food as well as the voices of the over priced menu.  Therefore, we decided to go and check it out, see if the dishes really worth it!
We were a bit disappointed at the food quality, probably because we have set a high expectation at Oru.  I did not know whether it was just the dine out; the food was okay but not impressive at all.  It would be overpriced if this is the dish quality for regular menu.  I did not feel this is worth it then.

The interior design and decor were absolutely amazing, perfect from top to bottom.  We were seated by the windows with the beautiful views.  

Dine Out Vancouver 2016 Menu
40 per person, pick an appetizer, entree and dessert from the 3 options of each.


My Appetizer:  Foraged Mushroom Tart
neufchatel cheese, shallot duxelle, pine nuts, crisp parmesan 
It was a cold appy, beautiful presentation.  Taste wise, nice and simple.  Refreshing!  


For Hubby:  Seared Qualicum Scallops
 maple corn puree, cilantro pesto, sumac, pea tendrils 
The portion was smaller than expected.  The scallops were somehow overdone.  I had a bite, taste was so so because it was not as tender as I thought.


My Entree:  Poached Arctic Char
pumpkin, currants, black barley, rainbow chard, onion petals
I like the combination, poached char in creamy sauce with rainbow chard and black barley.  It was rich flavors but not tender enough.  It should be half melted in mouth if it were a great poached.  


For Hubby:  Braised Bison Short Rib
steel cut oats, poached roots, snowflake celery
Portion was bigger this dish.  I am not a lover of braised meats.  I had a bite of the braised short ribs and I was quite disappointed.  The short ribs was lack of the rich flavors and the melt-in-your-mouth texture was missing too.  I could not taste the rich beefiness of short ribs.        

My Dessert:  Red Wine Poached Pear
pear cider, hazelnut milk chocolate, mascarpone, sorbet
This was my favorite dish among the dine out menu.  The pear sorbet was very refreshing and tasty; perfect match with the poached pear. 

For Hubby:  Chocolate Pot De Creme 
ginger shortbread, drunken cherry compote
No special.


It was a good experience to have dinner in this relaxing and romantic atmosphere with excellent service.  However, I was quite disappointed at the food quality, I did not know whether it was just the Dine out or not.  I expected more than that because there are quite some restaurants are doing much better than Oru in terms of food quality, presentation and at the same price range. 


Fairmont Pacific Rim, 1038 Canada Place, Vancouver
Oru - Fairmont Pacific Rim Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment